Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Bringing Back The Cup!


In the early 90's, I was invited down to Long Beach Island to spend the weekend with some friends. They had a summer place in Beach Haven, and were nice enough to open their beach house to me. Actually, they didn't have to open the house, just the driveway. I used to come down in my father's van, which had a couch that folded into a bed, and four captain's seats in the front that could be positioned into a kind of living room/salon area. So the van was my bedroom.
They had a refrigerator with a beer tap on it, so the cold beer was always flowing. To keep things clear, they kept a sharpie near the cups, so you could write your name on your plastic cup. I'm not a fan of drinking out of plastic, so I decided I needed a cup of my own. On my next trip down, I went to the Ron Jon Surf Shop and bought THE CUP.
For many years, I would kick off the summer by bringing THE CUP back to LBI.
But that house has dissipated, and I have relocated my summer activities to the Hamptons. At some point, I seem to have lost THE CUP.
Well, two nights ago, I was excavating a niglected part of my house, and I uncovered THE CUP. Tears welled in my eyes as I remembered all the good times and good friends that I associate with THE CUP. How I long to bring THE CUP back to LBI. Oh well, I guess it'll have to settle for the Hamptons.
PS: I dont' think they make THE CUP anymore...

No comments: