Bartok the Randomizer is truly amazing, but he is not long for this world.
The power recharger cord is frayed; the wires are exposed and don't charge Bartok any longer.
Bartok has been having other troubles. He seems to have lost sound on one side, so the music no longer plays in stereo. In fact, music with a high level of separation, like The Beatles, sounds really bad. You can either hear the lead vocals or the backups vocals, but rarely both. You get the picture.
So although it's a little too early to eulogize my trusty old friend, I will instead post playlists which have exemplified some of Bartok's brilliance. I have spent many mornings driving to work and wondering how Bartok was able to feel my mood and play the best songs for the moment. These are actual playlists, with Bartok set on "random." These mixes are his and not mine:
- Put A Needle On The Record - Luscious Jackson - Natural Ingredients (1994)
- Sangue Quente - Guilherme Vergueiro - Brazil Boogie (2002)
- Bright Nights (feat. Yukimi Nagano) - Koop - Waltz for Koop (2002)
- Love Cliche - Bran Van 3000 - Discosis (2001)
- Ramblin Man - The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters (1973)
- Better Days - Lord Flimnap - Point of View (1986)
- Late In The Evening - Paul Simon - One Trick Pony (1980)
- If I Like It, I Do It - Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth (1993)
- Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) - Bruce Springsteen - Live 1975-1985 (1986)
- Swoon Units - Digable Planets - Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space) (1993)
- Beast Simone - Exit Clov - Starfish - (2003)
- Bug Powder Dust - Bomb The Bass - The K&D Sessions (1998)
- Another Brick in the Wall Part II - Pink Floyd - The Wall (1979)
- Stepchild - Bran Van 3000 - Discosis (2001)
- Rainmaker - Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die (1970)
- Magic In The Air - Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast (2000)
- You Can't Turn Me Away - Sylvia Striplin - AnotherLateNight: Zero 7 (2005)
- Something's Got To Give - The Beastie Boys - Check Your Head (1992)
- I Love Every Little Thing About You - Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind (1972)
- Trouble - Coldplay - bootleg (2001?)