Thursday, April 05, 2007

First Seder Menu


First Seder Menu
Originally uploaded by mennu.

"Southern Fried Seder"

Meat Stuffed Matza Balls
Fennel Salad
Broccoli Kugel
Brussel Sprouts
Coleslaw
Mashed Potatoes
Fried Chicken
Lamb Roast with White Wine and Dried Fruit Reduction Sauce
Roast Beef

When I arrived home from work, I found that the fried chicken was prepared, and the lamb was roasted. Unfortunately, my sister, who was supposed to be the "lead chef" fell ill. She had contracted all 10 plagues. I looked at the clock, surveyed the kitchen, and sat down to have some coffee with my two kichen volunteers. Taking a page from Iron Chef Japanese Rokusaburo Michiba, I wrote out my menu, thought through the timing of everything and got to work.

The rest of the production was performed in a calm that had been absent for the weeks preceeding the holiday.

One of my more interesting dishes was the sauce I made for the lamb. I sauteed some shallots in grapeseed oil and spiced it with nutmeg, cinnamon and clove. Then I added white wine, raisins, dried cranberries, dried apricots, some apricot jam, and fresh mint.

No comments: