Thursday, February 25, 2010

42

This year I made two mixes to celebrate my birthday. I gave away a few copies during Purim, which fell out on my actual birthday. But since I celebrate my birthday until March 3, I figured these mixes are just under the wire.

Turn Up The Decibels

All the tracks in this mix are from 2009. The picture is from my last gig as a professional DJ. It was actually a very nice affair at the Mutter Museum. I like the cufflinks in the picture. They were a gift from my father.

  • 1-WhoMadeWho-Keep Me in My Plane: The video for this song is great.
  • 2-Passion Pit-The Reeling: I have an ongoing battle in my mind against the people who work in marketing. If I'm turned onto a cool track and it shows up in a commercial, I win. If there's a cool song that I've never heard of in a commercial, they win. I usually win. Whether it's Royksopp in a Geico ad, M. Ward in a Budweiser commerical or Nick Drake plugging VWs, I usually win. I was recently caught out by a cell phone ad. The campaign had a song by Passion Pit called Sleepyhead. It's a great track,and I recall hearing it and thinking, "What is this?" But for this mix, I've chosen an even better song by Passion Pit, one that is untainted by the evil of marketing.
  • 3-Persian Radio-The Khaaaakh: This clip is from Family Guy. In the episode, Stewie says, I wish I hadn't stayed up all night listening to Persian Radio. At the end of the clip, the guy really sells the חחחחח.
  • 4-Datarock-Give It Up: The last verse of this track says it all. "We'll hook you up to an enema/Oh oh oh oh/And don't stop till you get enough."
  • 5-The Gossip-Your Mangled Heart: Lesbian riot grrl Beth Ditto screams with a heartfelt passion for unrequited love. "I don't want the world/I only want what I deserve."
  • 6-Kinny-Enough Said: More unrequited love in this track. Even though it came out this year, it sounds like classic Motown.
  • 7-Neon Indian-Deadbeat Summer: This past New Year's Eve, I was at home with acute bronchitis. I didn't go out to any parties, and stayed home instead and did shots of cough syrup. Whenever this track turned up in my playlist, with all it's sloppy and off-key notes, I would get up and do a little jig.
  • 8-YACHT-Psychic City: Another good video. I enjoy the water drop loop and the fun lyrics.
  • 9-Jordaan Mason & The Horse Museum-Avalanches: Aquarium Drunkard does a much better job of explaining this one.
  • 10-Marissa Nadler-River Of Dirt: This song has a haunting sound to it. Wish I had put this song in its place.
  • 11-St. Vincent-The Strangers: More spooky sounds.
  • 12-Animal Collective-My Girls
  • 13-Espers-Trollslända: This whole album is a trip. Very chill. Mellow.
  • 14-Múm-Sing Along: This is almost a pop song from múm. Normally, these Icelandish artists make clicky loopy sounding stuff.
  • 15-Deep Cuts From The Cheeze-I'm In Charge: This is my friend Cheeze. He's actually a muppet.
  • 16-Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse-Revenge: It's actually Flaming Lips and somehow, David Lynch is involved.
  • 17-Songs-Clouds
  • 18-Girls-Lauren Marie: This one didn't fit on the disc version.



Clip The Card

This mix went through about four major revisions, but I'm pretty happy with where it is now. I recommend listening to it while drinking red wine, flying overseas, or both. Many of the sounds are international, or specifically Israeli or Scandahoovian.

  • 1-Dan Mangan-Robots
  • 2-Gustav and The Seasick Sailors-Sadie Says
  • 3-Kurt Vile-Blackberry Song: I saw Kurt Vile at Johnny Brendas and recorded some great video of the show. After the concert, I asked him if he minds if I post it to YouTube. He said he would mind. So, I didn't post it. I recommend seeing him. He's very talented.
  • 4-Oi Va Voi-Every Time: Starts off mellow, and then it takes a sharp turn to Eastern Europe. My nephew got a preview copy of this mix and tweeted that he was listening to it on the way to a doctor.
  • 5-Sally Shapiro-Time To Let Go: Although the name of the band sounds like someone who might have been on one of my Birthright trips, these are Swedes.
  • 6-Onili-Omizu: She's coming to Silk City in Philadelphia on March 23, 2010. I'm going to be in Tel Aviv at the time so I'll have to miss it. I would highly recommend going to the show. Great artist in a great venue. And at $6 it's a bargain. I would bring three friends with me.
  • 7-Santogold-Lights Out
  • 8-m83-We Own The Sky
  • 9-Buscemi-Nothing To Worry About
  • 10-Spylab-Celluloid Hypnotic
  • 11-The Karminksy Experience-Departures: If you listen really closely, about 12 seconds into the track, right before it kicks, you can hear Thomas say, "Here's Adam. Going to clip the card." I sampled it from this video. From that moment on, the mix rolls out into a coma-inducing mellow vibe. I used my Klippekort as the album art.
  • 12-The Flaming Lips-The Impulse
  • 13-Koop-Beyond the son: I'm not sure what Earl Zinger is blathering on and on about on this track. Frankly, I don't care. But I really like the sound of his voice.
  • 14-Metropolin-Malachim (Angels)

No comments: