Friday, September 08, 2006

Perpendicular Rediculousness

I'm always running out of hard drive space.

My 250 gigabyte hard drive is almost completely full of music. I know it's a lot of music, but I still need more space. How else will I be able to achieve my goal of collecting all the music of the 20th and 21st centuries? I've been waiting for the 500 gig drives to drop down to around $100. I figure that should happen by Presidents Day of 2007, if not sooner.

Hard drive manufacturers are working on ways to fit more data on a hard drive. Hitachi has been developing something called Perpendicular Recording which they explain in white paper entitled, and I'm not making this up, "Perpendicular Recording: A Boon For Consumer Electronics." As some of my readers may know, I'm a fan of the word "boon" and I try to use it whenever appropriate. Then again, I try to speak with as much pizzazz as I can. But I digress. Let me return to the subject at hand: perpendicular recording. To explain this new technology, the folks at Hitachi have made an utterly rediculous flash animation called "Get Perpendicular."

You can watch it by clicking here.

No comments: